Duration: 4 hours
Start Time: Flexible – Museums close at around 4:00pm
Meeting Location: Flexible
Activity Level: Easy
The Smithsonian is 19 world-class museums and a zoo. With so many, how do you decide which to visit? In our opinion, the two most unique are the Air and Space Museum and the American History Museum. Both are immense so let your guide walk you through and show you the highlights. In the Air and Space Museum see 1903 Wright Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, & Apollo 11 command module while at the American History Museum gaze upon the Star-Spangled Banner and George Washington’s Uniform. We recommend guests choose a total of two locations to visit and explore. Here is a list of the Smithsonian Museums to choose from:
- American History Museum
- Air, Sea and Space Museum
- American Indian Museum
- Natural History Museum
- National Portrait Gallery
- African American Museum (Timed entry pass may be required during peak months)
- African Art Museum
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- National Zoo (additional cost for transportation may be required)
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local guide.
- Guide’s gratuity is not included.
- 24/7 support line
- 4 hours with a private
- The private guide will meet the guests at the requested starting point. The itinerary will depend on which two museums guests choose to visit. Typically the guide will escort the group through the main exhibitions and give the tour. In the event touring inside the museum is not possible. The guide will give an overview of the steps of the museum (or other appropriate places) and then guide the guests to the main exhibits where they will explore on their own. The guide will stand by and answer any potential questions. Upon conclusion of the first museum, the guide will escort the group to the second museum
- Along the way, you may also see: The exterior of other museums on the mall as well as the botanical garden. The Washington Monument, the carousel.
- All stops, timing and inclusions of the tour are dependent on traffic and weather conditions.
- See upgrade options below to add time or attraction entrances to your experience.
1. The starting time and date of the tour is customizable to fit your schedule during day time.
- We recommend a start time of 8am or 9am to beat the crowds at major sites.
- This tour is offered all year round 7 days per week.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
2. The starting location of the tour is customizable to fit your schedule. The tour can start at your hotel doorstep, at a restaurant you just finished breakfast or lunch, or custom location of your liking.
- Pick-up or drop-off locations outside of the DC Metropolitan area may accrue additional time & cost.
3. Depending on where guests choose to start the tour and/or if they choose to visit the National Zoo, additional cost for MetroCard or transportation may be applicable.
4. Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
5. We can customize the tour and stops to fit your needs upon request.
Make it 6-hour and visit one more museum.
If you like this tour, you may also like:
- Essential Washington D.C.
- Washington D.C.’s Circle of Power
- Arlington Cemetery Private Sightseeing
- Georgetown & Embassy Row Private Sightseeing
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- D.C. Monuments by Night
- Private United States Capitol Experience
Looking for a Full-Day or Multi-Day Experience?
- Ask about our full-day D.C. highlights tour
- Ask about our 2 or 3-day Best of D.C. experiences
Make it Custom!
Have any special interests? We can curate this tour and pair you with a specialized tour guide to fit your needs. Topics range from horticulture, art, culinary, pop culture, architecture, history, or something we’ve never heard of! An additional research fee and specialized guide fee may apply.
Please contact us for pricing information.