Duration: 3 Hours
Start Time: Between 10 am and 3 pm
Meeting Location: The Arch at Washington Square
Park (Washington Square N), New York, NY 10012
Activity Level: Easy – Moderate
Since their creation, cupcakes have become a pop culture trend in the culinary world. In the early 21st century, a trend for cupcake shops, known as cupcakeries, which are specialized bakeries that sell little or nothing except cupcakes, developed in the United States, playing off the sense of nostalgia evoked by the cakes. There are dozens of upscale bakeries in New York City. Shops like Magnolia Bakery gained publicity in their appearance on popular television shows like Sex and the City. On the tour, you will taste and rate your way through some of the city’s best cupcakes, ranking them on presentation, frosting quality/style, and moistness/crumb density. Learn about trends in the cupcake world, visit a commercial kitchen, and learn about the cupcake’s unlikely origins.
Your guide is a well-respected culinary historian, cookbook author and culinary educator with a specialty in fine chocolate and other artisanal foods. Her accolades include a certificate of outstanding achievement from The James Beard Foundation and a book award from The International Association of Culinary Professionals. From Jacques Pepin to Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Jacques Torres, Daniel Boulud and Padma Lakshmi, she has worked with the most distinguished culinary talent.
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local culinary specialist guide.
- Food tastings are included.
- Flexible Timing to fit your schedule.
- This walking/food tour can accommodate up to 15 guests.
- 24/7 Support Line
- The starting time and date of the tour is between 10 am and 3 pm
- This tour is offered all year round, 7-days a week (Mondays are typically avoided due to bakery hours)
- The ideal seasons for this tour are the spring and fall due to comfortable temperatures for walking and being outdoors.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
- The starting location of the tour is the Arch at Washington Square Park (Washington Square N, NY, NY 10012)
- Meeting location can be customized upon request, additional costs may apply.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for this experience.
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
- Tour can be customized based on your interests.
- 3-hours with a private tour guide.
- Meet your guide at the Arch at Washington Square Park (Washington Square N, NY, NY 10012)
- You’ll stop at 4 trendy bake shops for a taste and learn about the neighborhood along the way.
- All stops, timing and inclusions of the tour are dependent on weather & walking conditions.
- See upgrade options below to add time and/or attraction entrances to your experience.
- Make it a full day by pairing with another tour!
Origins of New York Walking Tour
Lower East Side Walking Tour
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Sightseeing
Half-Day Midtown and Downtown Highlights Tour
- Looking for a Full-Day experience?
Ask about our full-day (8-hours) Discover Manhattan Tour
Ask about our 2 or 3-day NYC First-Timers Packages
- Make it Custom!
Have any special interests? We can curate this Experience and pair you with a specialized tour guide to fit your needs. Topics range from horticulture, art, culinary, pop culture, architecture, history, or something we have never heard of! An additional research fee and specialized guide fee may apply.
Please contact us for pricing information.