Duration: 4 hours
Start Time: Flexible
Meeting Location: Flexible
Activity Level: Easy
This tour allows guests to explore African American heritage and culture which has played a major part in the development of the DC area. The tour guide will discuss history going back to the times of slavery but more so discuss more modern aspects of African American Heritage. The private tour will visit the area known as Black Broadway – the U-street Corridor where guests will learn the history and challenges this area once faced.
Guests will also see some of the most well-known monuments and memorials related to the American Civil Rights Movement such as the Martin Luther King Memorial, The African American Civil War Memorial as well as the Lincoln Memorial. The tour will also allow for a walk at Howard University Campus which the current Vice President Kamala Harris once attended.
- Ride in comfort in our luxury vehicles with professional drivers and bottled water.
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local guide.
- Door-to-door service and flexible timing.
- Driver gratuity included (guide gratuity is not included).
- 24/7 support line
- 4 hours with a private vehicle and tour guide
- This private tour will start at U Street where guests will learn about the history, and after that guests will see the African American War Memorial and a brief visit to the museum, from there the tour will proceed to Howard University Campus which is a federally charted historically black research University, guests will learn about the great impact this institution has had on the African American community. From there, guests will head to the National Mall to see the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial as well as the Lincoln Memorial which both are vital in African American History. (indoor entrance tickets are not included for any locations).
- The order in which attraction is seen may slightly vary and is at the guide’s discretion
- All stops, timing, and inclusions of the tour are dependent on traffic and weather conditions.
- See upgrade options below to add time or attraction entrances to your experience.
1. The starting time and date of the tour are customizable to fit your schedule.
- We recommend a start time of 8 am or 9 am to beat the crowds at major sites.
- This tour is offered all year round, 7 days a week.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
2. The starting location of the tour is customizable to fit your schedule. The tour can start at your hotel doorstep, at a restaurant you just finished breakfast or lunch, or custom location of your liking.
- Pick-up or drop-off locations outside of Manhattan may accrue additional time & cost.
3. Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
4. We can customize the tour and stops to fit your needs upon request.
Depending on where in the city you are staying or where you may be prior to the tour, add a transfer to and from Georgetown. Pick up and drop off outside on DC Metropolitan area may incur additional costs.
Make it 6-hours! To include a visit to the National Museum of African American History & Culture.
If you like this tour, you may also like:
- Treasure of America
- Discover DC Monuments and Memorials on the National Mall
- Monuments by Night
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- U Street Food Tour
Looking for a Full-Day or Multi-Day Experience?
- Ask about our full day DC highlights tour
- Ask about our 2 or 3-day Best of DC experiences
Make it Custom!
Have any special interests? We can curate this tour and pair you with a specialized tour guide to fit your needs. Topics range from horticulture, art, culinary, pop culture, architecture, history, or something we’ve never heard of! An additional research fee and specialized guide fee may apply.
Please contact us for pricing information.