Offered Year Round
Start Time: Between 11:30am and 3:00pm
Meeting Location: The Arch at Washington Square Park
Activity Level: Easy
Private NYC Pizza and Gelato Challenge
Ciao Bella! Like pizza and love gelato? Then, this tour is for you! Experience three different downtown neighborhoods (South Village, West Village and Union Square) as you sample pizza from three (3) different slice joints/sit down pizzerias, rating them as you go. Learn about the history of pizza in NYC and what goes into making the finest pizza. For dessert, you will compare the offerings at two (2) different gelateries, discuss how gelato is made, and learn why it’s so different from American ice cream. You’ll use a scoring sheet, rating the pizza based on visual appeal, crust, sauce/topping and overall enjoyment. Gelato will be rated on case appeal, flavors offered, portion size/value ratio, flavor, texture and overall pleasure. What a great and yummy way to play a food critic!
Your guide is a well-respected culinary historian, cookbook author and culinary educator with a specialty in fine chocolate and other artisanal foods. Her accolades include a certificate of outstanding achievement from The James Beard Foundation and a book award from The International Association of Culinary Professionals. From Jacques Pepin to Julia Child, Thomas Keller, Jacques Torres, Daniel Boulud and Padma Lakshmi, she has worked with the most distinguished culinary talent.
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local culinary specialist guide
- Food tastings are included
- Flexible timing to fit your schedule
- This walking/food tour can accommodate up to 8 guests
- 24-hour support phone number
The starting time and date of the tour:
- This tour can begin any time between 11:30am and 3:00pm during summer hours and between 11:30 am and 2:00pm during winter hours.
- This tour is offered all year round, Thursdays thru Sundays only.
- The ideal seasons for this tour are the spring and fall due to comfortable temperatures for walking and being outdoors.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
The starting location of the tour is is the Arch at Washington Square Park (Washington Square North). Meeting location can be customized upon request, additional cost may apply.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for this experience.
- Tour can be customized based on your interests.
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
- We can customize the tour and stops to fit your needs upon request.