Origins of New York Private Walking Tour
New York traces its rich history to Lower Manhattan, the meeting point of the Hudson River and the East River. Originally named Nieuw (New) Amsterdam, New York City began as a small Dutch settlement in what is now known as Lower Manhattan. Broadway, which was then called Heere Straat (Gentleman Street), was nothing but a small road. Wall Street actually had a wall back in 1653 to protect the settlers from attacks. As the city grew, so did the nation. New York was the first capital of the United States and the spot where George Washington was inaugurated is marked by his statue. Over the years, Lower Manhattan has become the financial capital of the world. Today, the streets are teeming with people and filled with stories of New York’s past, present, and future. As you explore Lower Manhattan with your guide, you’ll see the 9/11 Memorial, St. Paul’s Chapel, Battery Park, Fraunces Tavern and Trinity Church as you learn about the history of the Native Americans, Dutch, and English.
Offered Year Round
Start Time: Flexible
Meeting Location: On the Steps of the National Museum of the American Indian
Activity Level: Easy
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local guide
- Flexible timing to fit your schedule
- This walking tour can accommodate up to 15 guests
- 24-hour support phone number
The starting time and date of the tour are customizable to fit your schedule.
- The recommended start time for this tour is between 8am and 3pm.
- This tour is offered all year round, 7-days a week.
- The ideal seasons for this tour are the spring and fall due to comfortable temperatures for walking and being outdoors.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
The starting location of the tour is on the steps of the National Museum of the American Indian (1 Bowling Green, New York, NY 10004). Your tour guide will meet you at this location at the starting time of the tour.
- Meeting location can be customized within Lower Manhattan upon request or depending on the rest of your schedule that day.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes for this experience.
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
- We can customize the tour and stops to fit your needs upon request.