Harlem Yesterday & Today
Almost a city unto itself, Harlem is one of the most famous neighborhoods in the world. Founded by the Dutch in 1658, Harlem was once farmland and the first US home of hundreds of thousands of European immigrants. The center of New York City’s African American culture, Harlem is a diverse neighborhood with a vibrant and influential history. Your fully guided private tour explores the changing face of Harlem, with special focus on the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s and 1930s. A literary, music, drama, and art revival in Harlem, the Renaissance period cultivated and nurtured the talents of great jazz musicians like Duke Ellington and Cab Calloway, and authors such as Zora Neale Hurston and W.E.B. Du Bois. Home to the famed Apollo Theater and Cotton Club, the effect of the Harlem Renaissance can still be felt in America’s artistic and cultural life today.
Offered Year Round
Start Time: Flexible
Meeting Location: Flexible
Activity Level: Easy
- Ride in comfort in our luxury vehicles with professional drivers and bottled water
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local guide
- Door to door service and flexible timing (additional charge for outside of Manhattan)
- Driver gratuity included (guide gratuity is not included)
- 24-hour support phone number
The starting time and date of the tour are customizable to fit your schedule.
- We recommend a start time of 8am or 9am to beat the crowds at major sites.
- This tour is offered all year round, 7-days a week. However, if attending a gospel mass, this tour will need to take place on a Sunday or a Wednesday with a start time no later than 9:00am.
- Restrictions may apply depending on the date and time of the tour.
The starting location of the tour is customizable to fit your schedule. The tour can start at your hotel doorstep, at a restaurant where you just finished breakfast or custom location of your liking. Pick up or drop off locations outside of Manhattan may accrue additional time & cost.
- Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
- We can customize the tour and stops to fit your needs upon request.