Essential Brooklyn Walking Tour
Typically, when you think of New York City you envision the landmarks and activities that can be found in Manhattan. But the Big Apple is so much more than just the island of Manhattan – it’s five boroughs each filled with their own treasures just waiting for you to discover them. Which is exactly what our Essential Brooklyn Walking Tour is designed to do.
Your experience begins with a Brooklyn Bridge tour via a walk across the iconic structure, which spans the East River, connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn. As you stroll across this magnificent structure, you’ll be treated to views of the Statue of Liberty, the remarkable Manhattan skyline and more.
On the other side of the bridge, your walking tour of Brooklyn will take you to Brooklyn Heights. Here your licensed tour guide will lead you through the streets lined with beautiful brownstones where you’ll hear the history of this posh residential area.
From there you’ll continue to DUMBO – no, not the beloved elephant – this DUMBO is an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. From art galleries to confectionaries to boutiques and more – you’re sure to be enchanted by this creative neighborhood’s vibe.
Offered Year Round
Start Time: Flexible
Meeting Location: Flexible
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate
Essential Brooklyn Walking Tour
- Your private walking tour begins with the trek from Manhattan to Brooklyn via the 1.1-mile-long Brooklyn Bridge which opened to traffic in 1883 after an astounding 13-year construction period. But no worries about motor vehicle traffic here! Thanks to a fully accessible center lane that’s open to bicycle and pedestrian travel only, you’ll be walking above the cars, trucks and motorcycles below.
- As you’re led across the world-famous span, you’ll hear all about its history while taking in the spectacular sites. From the views of Manhattan to the Statue of Liberty to the Manhattan Bridge and beyond, you’ll see the city from an exciting new perspective.
- Once you reach the end of the bridge, you’ll venture into the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood. Here you’ll find quiet streets filled with elegant brownstones. You’ll soon realize that this area – often referred to as the first suburb in the United States – is uniquely charming as it radiates a hometown atmosphere, while situated right next door to one of the most recognizable cityscapes in the world.
- From there you’ll head to DUMBO – aka Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. The namesake span that towers over the area gives the creatively oriented neighborhood much of its character—as do cobblestone streets and dramatic architecture left over from its industrial days. Here you’ll find art galleries, independent bookshops, boutiques, confectionaries and waterfront parks where locals and tourists thrive. DUMBO also offers some of the best photo ops including the Empire State Building framed by the mighty Manhattan Bridge.
- When your time in Brooklyn comes to an end you’re sure to be inspired to make plans to come back to see its other neighborhoods – including Dyker Heights, Bushwick, Williamsburg and more!
- All stops, timing and inclusions of the tour are dependent on traffic and weather conditions.
- Experience the best of Brooklyn on foot and receive local tips from your savvy local guide
- 24-hour support phone number
*Subway ticket to Brooklyn not included.
*Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.