African American History & Culture Full Day Experience
Embark on a powerful journey through Washington DC’s African American heritage. This full-day tour weaves the poignant history of slavery with the triumphs of the Civil Rights Movement. Stand in awe at iconic sites like the Lincoln and Martin Luther King Memorials, and delve into rich narratives at the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Discover Howard University’s storied past, a beacon of academic and cultural excellence. Conclude your unforgettable experience at the legendary Ben’s Chili Bowl on U Street, a haven of authentic flavors and celebrated history.
Offered Year Round
Duration: Full Day
Start Time: Flexible
Meeting Location: Flexible
Activity Level: Easy
African American History & Culture Full Day Experience Sample tinerary
- Your four-hour history and culture experience filled with historical sites and facts begins when your tour guide arrives to pick you up in a private luxury vehicle at a pre-determined location.
- From there you’ll head to U Street – which at one time was the heart of Black culture in America as well as home to over 200 Black-owned businesses – where you’ll hear about the significance of the U Street Corridor in detail.
- While in the corridor you’ll get to see the African American Civil War Memorial and pay a visit to the African American Civil War Museum – both of which were “founded for two purposes to correct the wrong in American history that ignored the service of the United States Colored Troops and to aid in the economic revitalization of the historic U Street community which was devastated by the 1968 riots.”
- Next up is a visit to the Howard University campus to learn about the huge impact that this federally charted historically Black research university has had on the African American community. Fun fact: Current VP Kamala Harris is just one of Howard’s many famous alumni.
- And of course, since U-Street’s most famous restaurant is Ben’s Chili Bowl – which also happens to be a historic landmark! – you can add an additional hour to your excursion and grab a bite to eat while you are in the neighborhood. (Meal cost not included).
- Since no African American heritage tour would be complete without these two men, your experience also includes treks to the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Memorial as well as the [Abraham] Lincoln Memorial – both of whom played a vital part in African American history in the US.
- When your private guided tour comes to an end, you’ll be dropped off via your luxury transfer at your hotel or other pre-arranged site filled with a new understanding of the African American culture that shaped DC.
- The order in which attractions are seen may vary slightly and are at the guide’s discretion. All stops, timing and inclusions of the tour are dependent on traffic and weather conditions.
- Ride in comfort in our luxury vehicles with professional drivers and bottled water
- Experience the city and receive local tips from your savvy local guide
- Door-to-door service and flexible timing (additional charge for outside of the Metropolitan DC area)
- Driver gratuity included
- 24-hour support phone number
*Gratuity for the tour guide is not included.
Starting from: $2239 (based on 5 guests in an SUV)