If you’re looking to ring in 2020 in Boston this New Year’s Eve, there are plenty of options to explore. Whether you are looking for family-friendly or adult-only fun, Boston offers a wide array of festivities for any budget. Activities begin at noon on New Year’s Eve and go well into New Year’s Day.
Fun at Boston Harbor
Boston Harbor has a little something for everyone. The hardest part of your trip will be deciding what to do first. Keep in mind the harbor is an epicenter of hustle and bustle during New Year’s. Whatever you decide to do, take the stress out of getting around during the festivities by opting for public transportation.
- Fireworks on New Year’s Eve: the best place for fireworks gazing is along the waterfront in Downtown and South Boston. Keep in mind Boston tends to be cold this time of year so you will want to dress in extra layers to avoid turning into a human icicle or scope out a few rooftop bars where you can seek refuge indoors, but still, enjoy the view.
- Rooftop bars at the Harbor: Bostonians are accustomed to cold weather so when it comes to rooftop bars, they are prepared with floor to ceiling windows to protect patrons from the elements year-round, but still, allow for an amazing view. Where Traveler names these harbor restaurants “great Boston eateries with outstanding views of the water”. They could serve as the perfect spot to take in midnight fireworks.
- Top of the Hub
- Pier 6
- Legal Harbor Side
- Cunard Tavern
Fun at the New Year’s Eve parties
If you’re looking for an adults-only evening, peruse Boston Discovery’s guide to New Year’s Eve parties. They’ve mapped out everything from roaring speakeasy parties to elegant hotel gatherings. Remember to get your tickets in advance or make reservations to avoid missing out on any fun.
Fun at Boston First Night 2020
First Night Boston has been a New Year’s Eve tradition in Copley Square since 1975. All First Night entertainment and special attractions are family-friendly, alcohol-free, open to the public and offered at no cost. Celebrations start at noon and end at about 8 pm giving you enough time to put the kids to bed or continue exploring the city.
- Cultural and musical performances: throughout New Year’s Eve, dance and musical performances will take place in various venues including in and around Boston Public Library, Back Bay, and Copeland Commons. First Night Boston 2020 provides a full schedule of performers for the day.
- Ice sculptures: what is the best way to warm up? Walking through an exhibition of ice sculptures, of course! Take part in the annual ice sculpture stroll along the waterfront. Organizers boast this year’s sculptures are bigger and better than ever.
- Light displays: if you enjoy pyrotechnics and light shows, ring in the new year in Copley Square with Boston’s iconic light display.
- Fireworks: two fireworks displays will take place. The first at 7 pm over Boston Commons which is timed perfectly for those attending the gala with young children. A second display will begin at the stroke of midnight and will be launched over Boston Harbor.
If you have extra time to explore Boston before you leave, head to Rose Kennedy Greenway. The area provides leisurely shopping, a unique food truck lineup for lunch, and the famous Greenway Carousel offering carousel rides on unusual hand-carved New England critters such as a sea turtle or butterfly. It is the perfect way to relax and recover from the New Year’s celebrations in true Beantown fashion.
If you’d like help in planning the best Boston New Year ever, click here and our Boston experts will make all your travel dreams come true.