Whether you want a Couple’s Weekend, family trip or Girls’ Getaway, Discover New York and Beyond will create the perfect Charleston itinerary to meet your budget and goals. Your personalized experience will allow you to understand why Charleston has been voted the No. 1 city in the United Stated by Conde Nast’s Readers’ Choice Awards.
Charleston has an incredibly rich history, in the true sense of the word. The city was far wealthier than Boston, New York of Philadelphia for years. How many of the following Charleston “firsts” do you know?
- 1670 the first settlers brought cotton seed to Carolina.
- 1707- 1728 the first American Woman artist, Henrietta Johnson, painted pastel portraits of the colony’s leading citizens, among them, Colonel William Rhett.
- 1735 the first American performance of an opera, Flora or Hob in the Well, took place in Charleston.
- 1736 The dock Street Theatre, the first American building exclusively for theatrical productions, was constructed.
- 1736 Charleston was first, in 1736, to organize a fire insurance company, the “Friendly Society for the Mutual Insurance of Houses Against Fire”.
- 1773 The Charleston Museum was established and became the first public museum in America.
- 1864 The world’s first successful submarine attack took place in Charleston Harbor. Both the H.L. Hunley and its target, the Union warship “Housatonic”, were sunk.
Contact us to design your perfect trip that can include any of the following:
- Antiques: Voted Best Antique Shopping in the U.S. by readers of Travel + Leisure
- Historic Private Homes and Gardens: View Charleston’s unique architecture and gorgeous gardens
- Antebellum Charleston: Visit lush plantations and landscaped gardens
- Art in Charleston: see the galleries, museums and private collections
- Food of Charleston: Taste your way through Southern and Low Country Food
- Charleston’s Holy Sights: Founded on religious freedom, the selection of welcoming religious institutions is astounding.
- Along the Waterfront: See Fort Sumter National Monument